5th Grade Art Questions
Making Baskets is a Craft
1. The craft of making baskets is a profession found in many countries around the world. This popular craft is known as:
Type of Line
4. The elegant drawing of this Dove created by Pablo Picasso was drawn using a kind of line called?
Areas in a Landscape
7. In Winslow Homer's landscape painting, "Snap the Whip," the kids are mostly in the front part of the landscape. So they are in the area called the:
B. Middle Ground
Lights & Darks
10. Andrew Wyeth's painting of a dog on
a bed is mostly tints and shades or lights
and darks. An example of:
A. Primary Colors
C. Warm & Cool Colors
13. What was Georgia O'Keeffe's inspiration for the main object (focal point) in this artwork?
B. Animal skull
16. From ancient times to today, people
have made their own clothes using
fabric. All cultures developed the craft
of making fabric, which is also the art of:
Light and Shadow
19. When an artist is painting fruit to
look realistic they must learn, that
white is to tint as black is to
Cut and Glue
22. In creating this pumpkin artwork,
students cut out shapes and glued down
each part in steps. Artwork that is
created from cutting and gluing
is called a:
25. Artists who create sculptures, or 3-D (three dimensional) forms of art have options in the ways to create their art. As one can see here in Alexander Calder's sculpture, it is a very large, free-floating sculpture, known as a:
B. Bas Relief
28. When preparing to draw a portrait of someone, the artist would draw, lightly, several grid lines. The vertical line down the middle of the oval helps the artist to draw features the same on both sides,
also known as this kind of balance:
31. This artwork is about a woman telling a story to children. It is such a popular form of art, or a cultural tradition to carry on, that many native artists have continued to do so even to today. Whether it is a woman or man figure, she or he has an open mouth like a "Storyteller." The state who's culture this represents is:
C. New Mexico
Principle of Design
2. In Hokusai's print of "The Great Wave" which Principle of Design is seen here?
5. The color opposite from another color
on the color wheel is it's complementary color. To put it another way, yellow is to purple as orange is to?
Principles of Design
8. The stripes on the Mask of King Tut
show which Principle(S) of Design?
D. All of the Above
How it Feels to Touch
11. Of which Element of Art is this cat fur an example?
Ways to Use a Sketchbook
14. As one can see here in a page from
Leonardo da Vinci's sketchbook, what
are some ways an artist might use a
A. Take notes
B. Draw pictures
C. Work out ideas
D. All of the above
17. The primary color group can be found in this artwork. Which group of colors is considered to be the primary color group?
A. Brown, Black and White
B. Blue, Red and Yellow
C. Purple, Green and Orange
20. Artists and art students discuss in critique-style, their art with each other.
A critique includes which items?
A. Describing & Analyzing
B. Relating (Interpret) & Judging (Evaluate)
C. Both A and B
D. None of the above
Examples of Genres in Art
23. Baskets and fruit are to Still Life as
trees, land and sky are to_________?
26. The great Michelangelo chiseled or cut this 3-D work of art of out marble. This sculpture is known as:
Steps in Painting
29. The example above shows some of the steps an artist might take to start a painting on a canvas. Choose the steps in the correct order:
A. Get a canvas, draw on it, then paint on it
B. Paint, draw, paint some more
C Practice painting, practice drawing then paint on a canvas.
Element of Space
3. In this image, the black and white cats are set on white and black backgrounds, which is an example of contrast. This is also the Element of Space known as:
Symbols in Art
6. Many artists use symbols in his or her artwork. Jasper Johns loved being an American and showing that pride it in his art. What does the American flag symbolize?
Match the Element of Art
9. Edgar Degas' favorite subject for his works of art were ballerinas. Here are two of his works done in different styles or genres. Match each with it's element of art: 3-D (three dimensional) art is to Form, as 2-D artwork is to_______________:
Styles in Native American Art
12. If you were to make pottery modeled after the Native American, black and white geometric designs seen here, which culture or area of origin would it best represent?
B. New York
C. New Mexico
The Creative Process
15. The Creative Process has four steps: planning, creating, reflecting and sharing. This image shows the artist hanging up her framed artwork for display. This is an example of which step in the Creative Process ?
Landscape, Portrait or Still LIfe?
18. Rembrandt painted many pictures
of himself. He also became famous for painting pictures of people. This kind
of art is called:
C. Still Life
21. This lesson required for the artist to use a color scheme or certain color groups in two areas: one area is the arm and hand, the other is the surrounding area. Which color schemes does this artwork reflect?
B. Hand and Shape
C. Warm and Cool
Art Media: Recycled
24. Recycled material and objects can come together to make great art. This sculpture was created using recycled items. What was the artist's source of inspiration?
27. For what purpose should an art student have a portfolio like the one
A. To hold incomplete works of art
B. To keep completed Artwork
C. To keep handouts
D. A, B and C are correct
30. Many times architecture can be connected to the traditions of a country. The origin of missions, like this one, that were established or built hundreds of years ago throughout the state of New Mexico were started by which group of peoples:
A. Japanese from Japan
B. Africans from Africa
C. Spaniards from Spain